What is a natural wine? Don't ask. We'll be here for years. But I used to call these just "Alice Wines," before we all had to call them something. I still think of them as Wines Alice Likes.
Personally, I'd sidestep the definition and opt for an ingredient list. But I do understand the impusle for those who really and truly are committed to growing their own grapes, nothing added or taken away, which means no sulfur, to opt for a group populated with like-minded friends.
So, welcome a new group: Les Vins S.A.I.N.S. (Les Vins Sans Intrant Ni Sulphites)
Those in the group are all French with one Italian. Included in this group are at least 10 vignerons with wines that I like/love.
Future members will be admitted only if the board is unanimous. There will be no police, the candidates must pledge honesty. There will be more groups like this coming down in the future. We already have something similar with more forgiving criteria in Association Des Vins Naturels, there are groups in Austria and there are groups that belong to Renaissance as well as Vin Natur. So, let the anarchy begin.
- Gilles et Catherine Vergé, Viré-Clessé, Bourgogne
- Jean Marie Vergé, Beaujolais
- Les Vignes de lÁnge Vin (Jean Pierre Robinot), Jasniéres, Loire
- Le Grand Cléré (Francois Blanchard), Touraine, Loire
- Domaine des Maisons Brûlées, Touraine, Loire
- Domaine des Griottes (Patrick Desplats), Anjou, Loire
- Domaine Saurigny (Jérôme Saurigny), Anjou, Loire
- La Coulée dÁmbrosia (Jean-Francois Chéné), Loire
- Gaelle Berriau, Loire
- Sébastien Dervieux, Loire
- Olivier Cousin, Loire
- Domaine de Belair (Joel Courtault), Loire
- La Grapperie (Renaud Guettier), Loire
- Le Raisin et lÁnge (Gilles Azzoni), Ardéche
- Domaine Lous Grezes (Luc Lybaert), Cévennes
- Domaine Jolly Ferriol ( Jean-Luc Chossart), Roussillon
- Le Coste di Gradoli (Gianmarco Antonuzzi), Lazio, Italy
- Az. Agr. Frank Cornelissen, Etna, Sicily
I am very curious to hear what you think about it all.